Monday 10 September 2012

Identifying conventions

In lesson today we were asked to watch four music videos and determine what type of music video they were in order to gain a better perspective of the different types ans to develop the ability to spot them.

In the picture are my notes on the videos and what type of music video I thought they were and why I thought this. For the first video 'Robyn - Killing Me', it was very clear it was conceptual.

Secondly, Rihanna - We found love, at first I assumed it was a narrative based music video, however when we were challenged by sir it became clear that it had elements of performance in it also, I had not realised that lip syncing and dancing into the camera would count as performance, but I was wrong!

Third of all,  when watching Pendulum, I instantly assumed it was conceptual due to the fact it was not clear what was going on, however I realised after that I had misunderstood the meaning on concept videos. As there was a narrative to the song and aspects of performance also, therefore this video is a narrative.

Lastly, by watching Kasabian's Days are forgotten, I became very confused as the video was centred around performance, however it incorporated aspects of conceptual as well, but came to the conclusion that due to the video being primarily based around the performance of the band, that it was in fact performance.

By doing this task, I found it very helpful to start to understand the different types of music videos and what signifies those types.

No comments:

Post a Comment